Libraries lockdown in a glance
With libraries closed and Aotearoa in lockdown over the last 8 weeks, many Aucklanders turned to our eCollections and online resources to read, watch and learn while staying safe at home.
A whopping 498,287 eBooks and eAudiobooks were issued, and we welcomed 3,772 new members to the Auckland Libraries whānau.
Our staff were also getting busy, making over 15,000 calls to members of Auckland's over 70s community and offering support in these difficult times.
Many of our heritage collections staff spent time transcribing nineteenth-century letters in the collections, making them more accessible for keyword searching.
Our Stay Connected series on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter saw Aucklanders share with us (and each other!) their stories, whakapapa, lockdown lives and more.
We also got creative and started offering our popular events and programmes online. With musical performances, craft activities, storytimes, webinars, virtual bookclubs and knitting groups, it’s been amazing to stay connected with our communities.
Read on to find out what was popular with Aucklanders during Alert Level 3 and 4.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
- Funny, You Don't Look Autistic: A Comedian's Guide to Life on the Spectrum
- The Bermondsey Bookshop
- The Mysterious Affair at Styles: Hercule Poirot Series, Book 1
- Blue Moon: Jack Reacher Series, Book 24
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: Harry Potter Series, Book 1 (unabridged)
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life (unabridged)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Harry Potter Series, Book 2 (unabridged)
- Funny, You Don't Look Autistic: A Comedian's Guide to Life on the Spectrum (unabridged)
- A Tale of Two Cities
Courses on Lynda.com
- Learning Skype for Business
- Microsoft Teams Essential Training
- Time Management Working from Home
- Excel Essential Training (Office 365)
- Learning Office 365
Films on Beamafilm
Auckland Libraries podcasts
- 2-minute reviews: The Trauma Cleaner
- HeritageTalks: Scandanavian family history
- 2-minute reviews: Furiously Happy
- HeritageTalks: Glen Innes changing
- 2-minute reviews: When we were Vikings
eNewspapers on PressReader
- The New Zealand Herald, Weekend Herald and Herald on Sunday
- The Washington Post
- Otago Daily Times
- The Daily Telegraph
- The Guardian