Books and Beyond: Valentine's Day
In this week's Books and Beyond episode, Karen and Louisa take inspiration from the Renaissance tradition of celebrating Valentine’s Day with "flirtatious entertainments", frolicking with great and less great love stories through the ages, and sharing a selection of New Zealand love poetry.
Listen to this week's episode on the Planet FM website and read on for the books mentioned in the show.
Books mentioned in the show:
- The thorn birds by Colleen McCullough
- Pride and prejudice by Jane Austen
- Pride and prejudice and kitties: a cat lover's romp through Jane Austen's classic by Jane Austen, Pamela Jane, and Deborah Guyol
- Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
- Romeo and Juliet: a chooseable path adventure by Ryan North, and William Shakespeare
- The French Lieutenant's woman by John Fowles
- Golden flower: a romance of New Zealand by Dulce Carman
- The first bad man by Miranda July
- "The brief life of the love poem" in Failed love poems by Joan Fleming
- "Love poem to David" by Selina Tusitala Marsh in Dear heart: 150 New Zealand love poems by Paula Green
- "She and her first best boyfriend" by Dinah Hawken in Dear heart: 150 New Zealand love poems by Paula Green
Catch us on Planet FM104.6, Sundays at 9.35pm. Recent shows can be listened to as podcasts via the Planet FM website.