Books and Beyond: Happy Anniversary Auckland!
This week on Books & Beyond, Karen and Louisa celebrate Auckland Anniversary weekend by paying tribute to our city by choosing books of historical recollections, novelistic descriptions, and poetic odes.
Listen to this week's episode on the Auckland Libraries SoundCloud.
Read on for the books mentioned in the show:
- Dove on the waters by Maurice Shadbolt
- The new animals by Pip Adam
- High hope in hard times: a history of Grey Lynn and Westmere by Kaaren Hiyama
- Te Atatu me: photographs of an urban New Zealand village by John B. Turner; historical essay by Grant Cole
- A fine prospect: a history of Remuera, Meadowbank and St Johns by Jenny Carlyon and Diana Morrow
- Urban village: the story of Ponsonby, Freemans Bay and St Mary’s Bay by Jenny Carlyon and Diana Morrow
- Auckland by the sea: 100 years of work and play by David Johnson
- Flowers after the sun: poems by John Pule
- Sonnets to Van Gogh & providence by John Pule
- Love as a stranger by Owen Marshall
- One hundred poems and a year by Bob Orr
- This Mortal Boy by Fiona Kidman
Auckland Libraries' radio show Books and Beyond explores the world of books with guest authors, recommended reads, gems from the Central City Library basement and… beyond.
Catch us on Planet FM104.6, Sundays at 9.35pm. Recent shows can be listened to as podcasts via the Auckland Libraries SoundCloud.