Books and Beyond: World's most expensive books
This week on Books and Beyond, Karen and Louisa talk about the world’s most expensive books.
Listen to this episode on the Auckland Libraries SoundCloud and read on for the books mentioned in the show.
The top 10 most expensive books of all time:
- Book of Mormon:
- The Codex Leicester
- St. Cuthbert Gospel
- Bay Psalm Book
- Rothschild Prayer Book
- Gospels of Henry the Lion
- The Birds of America
- The Canterbury Tales, Geoffrey Chaucer
- Shakespeare’s First Folio
- The Gutenburg Bible
Other works about rare and unique books and their fate:
- The bad-ass librarians of Timbuktu: and their race to save the world's most precious manuscripts by Joshua Hammer.
- The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám translation by Edward Fitzgerald.
- Norman Mailer’s MoonFire deluxe edition by Taschen Publishing.
Does the price paid for a book always correspond to its value?
Karen’s most valued books:
- Grand Dictionnaire de Cuisine by Alexandre Dumas.
- The Sue Barton Nurse series by Helen Dore Boylston.
Catch us on Planet FM104.6, Sundays at 9.35 pm. Recent shows can be listened to as podcasts via the Auckland Libraries SoundCloud.