OverDrive checkouts reach 5 million!
Checkouts from Auckland Libraries main digital reading platform, OverDrive, reached five million this month, making us some of the biggest digital library borrowers in the world!
The lucky five millionth checkout was Spain and Portugal's best trips by Lonely Planet.
Our library system is one of the fastest growing in the world since launching in late 2007. Auckland Libraries have made especially great strides with our digital collection and have set records within the last two years.
In 2016, we were one of 17 libraries worldwide and the only library system in the Southern Hemisphere that circulated one million digital books for the first time. We built on this success in 2017 with 30% circulation growth, remaining the only library system in the Southern Hemisphere to achieve one million checkouts annually.
We are on pace to set another record in 2018, and have already contributed greatly to the one billion checkouts achieved across the OverDrive network earlier this year!
Catherine Leonard, Auckland Libraries Head of Content and Access, says that the popularity of eBooks has continued to grow at Auckland Libraries.
“It is only seven months since we hit four million e-issues on our main platform. We see the sharpest ongoing rise in popularity with the eAudio format, probably reflecting the different ways we want to incorporate 'reading' into busy lives. This also happens to be the fastest growing category in publishing.
"Auckland Libraries has seen increases of over 40% in the use of its eAudio books when compared to 12 months ago. But it’s not a competition between print and e. We try to provide a good balance and range of formats to readers.”
Auckland Libraries have stayed on top of worldwide trends and the expanding popularity of eBooks and eAudiobooks. We have invested in new digital features to serve the needs of our communities, and it’s paying off. Our OverDrive service offers a wide variety of eBooks and audiobooks in over 40 languages and for all ages, a multilanguage website, as well as creative curation to serve the needs of our communities.
OverDrive can be accessed on your reading device from anywhere with WiFi connection, even if you’re out of the country - especially useful if you want to stay tucked up indoors this winter!
In addition to the five million checkouts from the OverDrive collection, Auckland Libraries also offers eCollections from BorrowBox, Wheelers, EBSCOhost and RBDigital.
Check out Auckland Libraries eBooks and eAudiobooks on OverDrive and set yourself up for cold weather reading!
Read Our Auckland article about our five-millionth OverDrive checkout winner.
- Did you know that Auckland Libraries customers check out approximately 4500 eBooks and eAudiobooks every day?
- The most popular OverDrive eBooks and eAudiobooks this month are Things we have in common by Tasha Kavanagh (eBook) and The subtle art of not giving a f*ck by Mark Manson (eAudio).
- The most popular Auckland Libraries OverDrive eBooks and eAudiobooks of all time are Bad luck and trouble: Jack Reacher series, Book 11 (eBook) and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (eAudio).
- The most popular New Zealand eBook on OverDrive over the last year was The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton.
- We have a selection of eBooks which are guaranteed to always be available - perfect for book clubs and travellers! Find out more about these always available books here.