Central Library refurbishment
We’ve listened to your feedback and we’re making improvements to Central City Library.
Between early June and September Central Library is undergoing a refurbishment. This includes include installing new carpet, painting the walls and also changing the lighting for new environmentally friendly and brighter LED lighting.
While this work is taking place we’re also taking the opportunity to make some further changes to the library to improve visitors experience when visiting.
Level 2 works - 8 June to 3 July approx.
- Level 2 is now open and Sir George Grey Special Collections and the Central Research Centre are open.
- During the refurbishment, the newspaper room on Level 2 is closed. This will move to Level 1. Some papers may not be available during this time.
Level 1 works - 4 July to 4 August
- This floor is entirely closed during these works to deliver new and improved study, computer and reading areas.
- The Citizens Advice Bureau will be offering a service from elsewhere in the building, ask staff for directions.
- Makerspace will be closed during this time.
- Collection items currently on this floor will not be available during this time. Ask staff for help to place requests or help you find alternatives.
- Public computers currently on this floor will not be available during this time - however level 2 and ground floor computers are available.
- Bookclubs – Te Reo Club, Reading Revolution, Maori Reading Group, City Mission Book Club and Chinese Book Chat will revert back to meeting in the Te Marama room once the First Floor reopens. For any queries regarding these programmes, please contact Wairaka Tuea.
Ground floor works – 7 August to 14 September
- This floor will have partial access during this time and will lead to the creation of a better Makerspace, creation of a new space for events and programmes and improvements to the issues desk and surrounding areas.
- Customer request pickup and issuing of material will be available throughout the works.
- Most collection items currently on this floor will not be available during this time. Ask staff for help to place requests or help you find alternatives.
- The following children's programmes will cease during refurbishment: Wriggle and Rhyme – Rhymetime - Bilingual Rhymetime - Storytime. All children’s weekly programmes at Central will cease from Monday 7 August until the Ground Floor reopens (approx. Thursday 14 September).
- Public computers currently on this floor will not be available during this time - however level 2 and level 1 computers are available.
We will try to keep disruption to a minimum during the works but please bear with us.